The Ultimate Dog Toy: Combining a Tennis Ball with Dog TreatsApril 15, 2015
It’s no secret that most dogs have a genuine love for tennis balls. Maybe it’s the colour, maybe it’s the texture. Either way, they can’t get enough of them.
Take the fun up a notch with this easy Do-It-Yourself dog toy. You’ll be combining the tennis ball that your pup loves so much with dog treats, which will provide hours of entertainment. Not only will this toy get your dog to fall in love with tennis balls all over again, it will help keep your dog’s brain stimulated and improve motor function with a tasty reward at the end.
What you will need
- 1 tennis ball (a used one will do just fine)
- Your dog’s favourite treats or kibbles
- A tool for cutting rubber (you can also use a sharp kitchen knife)
How to make it
- Carefully make two cuts along the tennis ball: one vertically and one horizontally. Note: The bigger the cuts, the easier the treats will be released. In order to challenge your smart dog, opt for smaller cuts which will create a more stimulating activity.
- Insert your dog’s favourite treats or a handful of kibbles into the pocket and watch your dog go wild trying to release the ball’s content.
You can also combine this activity with playing fetch. The rubber of the ball should keep the treats or kibbles inside until your dog is able to successfully master their technique.
If your dog needed another reason to love tennis balls, this is it!