Pour une meilleure expérience sur ce site, nous vous conseillons fortement d'utiliser un navigateur plus récent.
8 July 2022
Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) are severely toxic to dogs and cats. Exposure to this bacterium often results in death. It is strongly recommended to stay clear of all infected bodies of water.
Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, are bacteria found in lakes, ponds, brackish water, streams, and sometimes saltwater. The blue-green algae bloom and resemble green paint floating on the surface of the water. Although not all blooms contain toxins, it is not possible to know without proper testing. Thus, it is recommended to avoid all bodies of water where blue-green algae have bloomed.
These bacteria can produce toxins that are harmful to pets and people who inhale or drink from infected bodies of water, or swim in them during these activities:
The following signs of poisoning can begin anywhere from 15 minutes to several days after exposure to the blue-green algae:
If you suspect your dog or cat has come into contact with blue-green algae, immediate intervention is critical. Contact your veterinarian or the poison control centre immediately.